“Don’t believe everything others say about me, the truth could be a lot worse.”
Hello! I’m Jacqueline.
I grew up in Klang, a small town in the state of Selangor, Malaysia. Obtained my Bachelor and Master degrees in business. I spent most of my professional life in the training and consulting field before I started my own business in 2011. Currently, I’m a doctorate candidate and earning a living as a freelancer designer and illustrator.
Here’s the thing about me…
I’m a multipotentialite (someone with many interests and creative pursuits as defined by Emilie Wapnick). After years of struggling to “focus”, instead of trying to fit into the mould of the society to niche down or become a specialist, I’m letting myself loose and to be free to explore whatever “interests and creative pursuits” that I may have.
I’m an autodidact. I’m very fond of learning and mastering certain area of my interests. Basically, I initiated and set my learning goals although I don’t necessarily self-taught myself everything. I do rely on the Internet, online courses and YouTube channels to learn.
I’m a minimalist. This is a rather recent development. I’ve always felt that my life is a mess so I decided to declutter for a bit. As it turned out, the lesser physical things I have lying around, the lesser of a mess I feel.
Growing up, my childhood consists mostly of playing outdoor with my brother, video games, drawing comic stripes and writing fictions. I used to make scrapbooks for my favourite artists as well.
After I went to university, I sentenced my inner artist to imprisonment. I was a business major but I plunged myself into studying philosophy and psychology as well. For many years, I truly thought that my creative spark was dead as I unleashed the inner philosopher.
The Inner Artist is Planning Her Escape…
When I took a course on computer graphics in 2013, I knew I’d actually be able to make money from designing and I did! Without a degree in graphic design, I didn’t know the fundamentals back then. I only knew how to use Adobe tools and put it to good use. I designed logos, business cards, stationery and corporate merch.
In mid-2016, I approached the owner of my favourite café in Klang. I’ve been admiring his artworks in café and also the ones he posted on Instagram. I just tried my luck asking him if he teaches drawing. He said yes! That was when I picked up pencil and begin drawing again. After a few classes with him, I stopped drawing…well, because life happens and I got busy.
Come 2020 where the whole world is on lockdown due to outbreak of Covid-19, I decided to let my inner artist out to play. I can now confidently say that it was the best decision ever as I’ve never been more clear with my life purpose.
Check out my Start Here page if you’re new here where I explained a little bit more about this blog and its direction.
Some (Fun) Facts!
- I love dogs and I have two Schnauzers, Coffee and Tydus.
- While I have my most preferred and least preferred genre, I have a pretty broad taste in books, music and movies. I could be reading a romance novel one day, horror next and memoir next. The same goes with movies and music. I could listen from jazz and classicals to heavy metal and rock the next day.
- I love playing video games. It doesn’t matter it’s in Playstation or PC or mobile, I just love to play them.
- I only watch one sport and support one sport team (okay maybe two); Liverpool FC and England.
- My definition of family is different from most people. I refer to people who are biologically related to me as relatives. My family are the people I chose to love and be loyal to because we’re there for each other. Most of them are not my blood relatives except my brother.
- I used to make a lot of friends over the Internet in my mid-20s. One in particular whom I love so much that I took the risk of flying all the way to South Africa with my partner to see her. We joked about how she could turn out to be a murderer.
- Categorizing and stamping dates on my posts is a struggle as I suffer from OCD. I’ve changed my categories over 100 times since 2009.
Let’s Get Connected
Please feel free to comment on my posts and share your thoughts. Let’s make it thought-provoking so we can learn from each other. Also, a gentle reminder to be respectful towards each other and have fun!
As for those who would like to connect with me and find out more about my other creative pursuits, please feel free to follow me on Facebook or Instagram. Who knows? We probably share similar interests.
This blog is written and managed by Jacqueline Teo (me). The views and opinions expressed on this blog belong to me unless stated otherwise. No images or content can be used without written permission. This blog may contain affiliate links to various affiliate programs in which commission is made from links clicked and/or purchase made by you with no additional costs to you. Read Disclaimer.