For the past one decade, I’ve struggled with focus and staying consistent. Every new year, I would set my goals and failed to achieve them. I feel like I’ve wasted the last 10 years of my life going through a whirlwind of activities that didn’t serve me. I don’t know what 2020 will bring me but I have a strong feeling that it’s going to be my best year since 2010.
The following is my manifesto and the mindset I’m going to have for 2020 which I hope will inspire you too.
- Don’t just learn, act on it. I’m an avid learner. I’m obsessed with consuming knowledge and learning new things. However, I achieved very little success for one very simple reason; I don’t always practice what I’ve learned. Moving forward, I’m going to be more selective in what I spend time and effort to learn and place more emphasis on taking action.
- Things may not always go as planned, be flexible. That’s what life is all about. It’s unpredictable because there are so many things that are beyond our control. Instead of worrying about it like I always did, I must have a flexible mindset and go with the flow.
- Positive state leads to infinite possibilities. One thing I notice whenever I’m facing problems is when I’m in a negative state, all I see is doom and gloom. The moment I decided to take a breather, that’s when solutions start popping up. So, instead of worrying about things not going my way, I must maintain a positive mindset. Even
- Prioritise what (or who) that matters to you. For the past 10 years, I was constantly trying to do everything for everyone to the point that I suffered burnout and tremendous stress. It’s only when I decided that enough is enough that I can clearly see that I’m only one person and I can’t do everything. Besides, I also felt used and not appreciated. It’s time to prioritise the things I enjoy doing and the people who truly matters to me.
- Focus, focus, focus. This is the one word I’ve been hearing consistently from my family, close friends and mentors. They could tell that I was all over the place. This is the single most important thing for years to come.